Are There Any Electric Bikes Under 1500 Dollars Worth Buying?
Electric bikes under 1500 dollars! Are any of the electric bikes for under $1500 any good. The truth is you do not have to spend a huge amount of money to get a good quality e-bike if you do not want to do so.
The more expensive e-bikes may have a few more features. They may also include bikes with a higher power output. This does not mean however that budget priced electric bikes priced under 1500 dollars will not do the job they are intended to do.
In fact there are electric mountain bikes for under $1000 that are extremely high quality if that is what you are looking for!
In fact if you have never owned an electric bike before it makes perfect sense to buy an inexpensive e-bike initially. There is very little point spending vast amounts of money on an ebike until you know for sure that you are actually going to enjoy e-biking.
- Are There Any Electric Bikes Under 1500 Dollars Worth Buying?
- What Do You Want To Use Your Electric bike For?
- Are All Electric Bikes that are Priced Below 1500 Dollars Pedal Assist?
- Are There Any Step Through Electric Bikes priced under $1500?
- Electric Bikes with Step Through Frame Worth Considering.
- The Cyrusher XF200 Step Through City Electric Bike
- The Classic Style Ladies Step Through Commuter E-bike
- Are There Good Quality Folding Electric Bikes under $1500?
- The Cyrusher XF500 Folding Electric City Bike
- The Lankeleisi G650 20 Inch Folding Electric Bike
- What about Electric Mountain Bikes under $1500?
- The Shengmilo MXO2S 26 inch Fat Tyre Electric Mountain Bike
- The SMLRO 26 inch Mountain Bike
What Do You Want To Use Your Electric bike For?
The first thing you need to decide is how, and where, you intend to use your electric bike. It is important that you choose the correct electric bike that meets your particular needs. If you are a commuter then you might want to buy a folding electric bike. An ideal e-bike for older people might be one with a step through frame. A student who is considering buying an electric bike may actually end up buying an adult sit on electric scooter. It is simply a matter of buying what is right for you.
Generally speaking you can use an electric bike in pretty much the same way as you would a conventional bike.
There is an equivalent electric bike for any genre of conventional cycle. There are e-bikes that are designed for the casual user. There are electric bikes that are aimed specifically at those who want to use them for commuting. There are also electric bikes for off road use.
Once you have decided what you intend to use your ebike for you can then set about finding the style and model that best suits your requirements.
Whichever type of bike you decide on buying there will almost certainly be electric bikes available for under $1500 that will fit the bill.
Are All Electric Bikes that are Priced Below 1500 Dollars Pedal Assist?
The vast majority of electric bikes are pedal assisted. In fact in most regions ebikes without pedals are effectively classed as mopeds or electric scooters. To qualify as an electric bike the machine has to be fitted with pedals.
There are however a lot of electric bikes that have a throttle as well as pedals. This applies to electric bikes that sell for under $1500 dollars just as much as it does to more expensive models.
In essence a pedal assist electric bike is a conventional bike that simply has a battery and electric motor fitted alongside the pedals.
The basic idea is that you use the bike in exactly the same way as you would a conventional bike and then use the motor to provide a little extra assistance as, and when, required.
Most e-bikes allow you to select the amount of assistance that you want to engage. Depending on the model of electric bike you choose you will have from three to six levels of assist to choose from. Some of the top end e-bikes even have 9 levels of assist available.
On models of electric bikes under 1500 dollars you are likely to have a maximum of five levels and more often only three. Do not let this put you off, three levels of pedal assist is quite sufficient for most riders.
Are There Any Step Through Electric Bikes priced under $1500?
You can certainly get a good quality step through e-bike for a maximum budget of $1500.
The benefit of an electric bike with a step through frame is that they are extremely easy to mount and dismount. They are particular favourites of ladies but many older people, of both sexes, favour this style of bike.
Electric Bikes with Step Through Frame Worth Considering.
There are a number of e-bikes with step through frames available for sub $1500 dollars. Here are a couple of options that we believe are worth considering!
The Cyrusher XF200 Step Through City Electric Bike
Reasons to Buy The Cyrusher Xf200
- The Xf200 has five modes of pedal assist to choose from. It also has features a throttle which is useful if you are feeling the strain and really cannot pedal any further.
- The Xf200 has five modes of pedal assist to choose from. It also has features a throttle which is useful if you are feeling the strain and really cannot pedal any further.
- The Cyrusher XF200 is fitted with Shimano Tourney LEX-SL seven speed gearing which makes pedalling easier when the used in manual mode.
- The weight of the battery is just 4kg which makes it light enough to consider carrying an extra battery with you to extend the range of the bike if you feel you need to.
- The top speed of the XF200 is roughly 45km/hr (28 mph). The top speed is identical regardless of whether you are using pedal assist or throttle only.
- Depending on how the bike is ridden (low speed or high speed) the range will be anywhere between 40 and 100 kms.
- The battery is housed in a rack at the rear of the bike. This makes it extremely accessible when you need to charge it or simply remove it.
- The charger supplied with The Cyrusher XF200 can be used with both 110v and 240v power outlets.
- The Cyrusher XF200 comes fitted with Kenda puncture resistant tyres. This helps to reduce the likelihood of you being stranded miles away from home as a result of running over a nail or other sharp object in the road.
- The weight capacity of the bike is listed as being 150kgs (330lbs). This makes it an ideal choice for heavier riders who may be struggling to find a suitable bike.
- The peak power rating of the motor is 750w. The torque of the motor is 65N.m which can cope with gradients of up to 35 degrees.
Reasons Not to Buy The Cyrusher XF200
The bike is not ‘multi use’. It is designed primarily for road use. If you are looking for an ebike to use for commuting during the week and rough terrain riding at the weekend The Cyrusher XF200 might not be the best choice.
Some users suggest that the gearing of the bike makes it difficult to pedal up hill in manual mode only.
The Cyrusher XF200 – Conclusion!
The Cyrusher XF200 is a robust and stylish electric bike. It would be an ideal choice for anyone looking for an electric bike for commuting or recreational riding on paved surfaces. The 5 modes of pedal assist are more than adequate for most riders needs. The bike is fitted with lights, front and rear, as standard.
Where Can You Buy The Cyrusher XF200?
The Cyrusher XF200 is Available to Buy Direct from Cyrusher.com (paid link)
The Classic Style Ladies Step Through Commuter E-bike
Reasons to Buy The Classic Style Ladies Step Through Commuter E-bike
- The bike features three mode settings. You can choose between Human Mode, Assist Mode or Full Electric Mode. Basically Human Mode means that the bike is being propelled by pedal power alone. Assist mode means that you are engaging the motor in order to make pedalling easier. Electric mode means that you are not required to pedal at all, you are being propelled by the elctric motor alone.
- The Classic Style Ladies Step Through Commuter E-bike is fitted with a 36v/10amp Lithium Battery which the manufacturers suggest will have a maximum range of approximately 80 kilometers (roughly 50 miles). The range will of course, to a large degree, will be dependant on the mode you choose and the terrain you are riding on.
- The bike is quite light. The total weight, including the battery is approximately 22 kilos. This is made up of the aluminium frame weight of 19kg and a battery weight of 3 kilos.
- The battery can be left in position on the bike for charging or it can be easily removed if this is a more convenient option for you.
- The maximum speed of the bike is listed as being 30kph. This is more than adequate for most riders who are likely to choose this style of electric bike.
- The Classic Style Ladies Step Through Commuter E-bike has a load carrying capacity of 200kg.
- The bike is supplied with broad, non-slip wear resistant tyres which are fitted to high strength integrated aluminium wheels.
- The digital display shows the amount of charge in the battery, the gear that is being used, the speed you are travelling and the distance travelled.
Reasons Not to Buy The Classic Style Ladies Step Through Commuter E-bike
This ebike is designed for road use only. It is ideal for commuting and trips into town but is not the bike of choice for anyone who wants to use the bike recreationally, off road, at weekends.
The Classic Style Ladies Step Through Commuter E-bike – Conclusion!
The bike should be comfortable to ride, it has a wide padded seat and minimalist swan style handlebars. The bike has an integral rear luggage rack. The open style frame makes mounting and dismounting extremely easy.
The Classic Style Ladies Step Through Commuter E-bike is lideal if you are a lady, or older person, who is looking for an ebike to use primarily on paved roads.
If you are looking at Electric bikes under 1500 dollars that feature a step through frame this bike is well worth considering. This bike is competitively priced and is currently available for under $1200.
Where to Buy The Classic Step Through Electric Bike
(Buying Direct from China is usually the cheaper option but delivery may take longer)
Are There Good Quality Folding Electric Bikes under $1500?
There are a number of good quality folding e-bikes priced under $1500.
Folding electric bikes are extremely popular with commuters who may want to store their machines in the office when they arrive at work. They are also a favourite with people who have a limited amount of storage space or those who need to transport their bikes in the boot of their car or on public transport.
Here are a couple of examples of folding electric bikes that are available for under 1500 dollars that you might like to consider. Both have excellent use reviews!
The Cyrusher XF500 Folding Electric City Bike
Reasons to Buy The Cyrusher XF500 Folding Electric City Bike
- The XF500 is supplied with a high quality Samsung 48volt/10amp Lithium Battery. The Battery is contained in a sealed removable pack situated in the main frame of the bike.
- The charger supplied with the bike is designed to guard against over charge and short circuiting
- The Cyrusher XF500 has a clean, simple looking design. Folding the bike and getting ready for riding again is a simple operation. The action of folding and unfolding the bike does not require the use of any tools.
- The Cyrusher XF500 Folding Electric City Bike is suitable for commuting and leisure use. It is compact when folded and fits easily into the trunk of a standard family car. The folded size of the bike is roughly 86x54x74cm.
- The bike has three distinct modes of operation. The bike can be ridden without any electric assistance at all (pedal power only). Or it can be ridden in ‘pedal assist mode’. Alternatively the bike can be ridden using the twist throttle which requires no pedalling to be done by the rider.
- At just 22.5kg the bike is relatively light weight.
- The bike will support a weight of around about 150 kilos (23.5 stone / 330lbs) which should be sufficient for most e-biking individuals.
- Depending on the status of the battery charging times are likely to be between five and seven hours to get back up to maximum power.
- The top speed of the Cyrusher XF500 is quoted as being between 25-35kph by the manufacturer. .
- The distance that can be covered with a fully charged battery is quoted as being 65-80 kilometers. The actual distance will of course, as with all ebikes, depend on the road surface, land elevation and the amount of manual pedalling that the rider provides.
- The XF500 is fitted with 7 speed Shimano Derailleur gearing.
- The frame and handlebars of the bike is made of aluminium and the forks are manufactured from high grade carbon steel.
- The XF500 has 20” wheels that are fitted with Kenda heavy duty tyres.
- The The Cyrusher XF500 Folding Electric City Bike has a 12 month warranty that covers the battery, the electric motor and the frame.
Reasons Not to Buy The Cyrusher XF500 Folding Electric City Bike
It is difficult to find specific problems with this bike. Like most ‘all round options’ there is likely to be some compromise if compared to bikes dedicated to one function only.
The Cyrusher XF500 Folding Electric Bike – Conclusion!
The Cyrusher XF500 Folding Electric City Bike would appear to be a good ‘all rounder’. It should be ideal for town riding due to its small wheel size, which helps with manoeuverability. The tyres ar quite broad with ‘chunky tread’ which suggests it should also be OK for riding off road, at least to some limited extent.
Where to Buy The Cyrusher XF500 Folding Electric City Bike
(Buying direct from China will be a slightly cheaper option but delivery is likely to take longer)
The Lankeleisi G650 20 Inch Folding Electric Bike
The Lankeleisi G650 is another folding electric bike for under 1500 dollars that might well be worth considering.
Reasons to Buy The Lankeleisi G650 20 Inch Folding Electric Bike
- The Lankeleisi G650 Folding Electric Bike is supplied with a powerful 48 volt battery. There are two versions of the battery available. You can choose between the 10.4Ah version or, for those that require a little more power there is the 14.5Ah version.
- You have the option of charging the battery in situ on the bike or alternatively you can remove the battery for charging should you have the desire to do so.
- The G650 has the choice of three riding modes. You can use the machine like a conventional bike, using pedal power alone if you wish. You can also engage the pedal assist mode or the ‘full electric mode’ if you do not want to pedal at all. Any of the modes can be selected at will. When you select pedal assist you have five degrees of assistance that you can choose from.
- The distance you can travel in full electric mode using the 48v/10.4Ah battery will be between 40km and 55km. If you use the 14.5Ah battery your travel distance, using full electric mode will vary between 80km and 100km. Obviously the speed, the terrain and the elevation will have a major impact on the actual figures you are able to return.
- The maximum speed that you can expect from the Lankeleisi G650 will be in the region of 30km per hour.
- The Lankeleisi G650 is fitted with Shimano 7 speed gearing operated by a conveniently positioned thumb shifter.
- This ebike is fitted with a resilient front and rear suspension system designed to cope with rough terrain should you wish to use the bike in those conditions. To improve safety this bike comes with front and rear disc brakes.
- The Lankeleisi G650 has a load capacity of 120 kilos (265 lbs).
- The Lankeleisi G650 20 Inch Folding Electric Bike comes with a very impressive 3 year warranty that covers the frame and forks. The electrical components such as battery, controller and charger come with 12 months warranty cover.
Reasons Not To Buy The Lankeleisi G650 20 Inch Folding Electric Bike
The reviews for this bike are quite encouraging, there are no major build problems reported. One purchaser is suggesting that if you are above average height you will need to specify the longer seat post if you want to be comfortable riding the bike.
The Lankeleisi G650 20 Inch Folding Electric Bike – Conclusion!
This bike would appear to tick all of the boxes if you are looking for a folding electric bike under 1500 dollars. People who have reviewed the Lankeleisi G650 state that it appears to be well built and a joy to ride.
Where to Buy The Lankeleisi G650 20 Inch Folding Electric Bike
You can Buy The Lankeleisi G650 from Amazon or you can also Buy The Lankeleisi G650 From the Manufacturer in China (paid link).
Buying from China is generally the cheaper option but delivery is likely to take a little longer.
What about Electric Mountain Bikes under $1500?
There are a huge amount of electric mountain bikes in the sub $1500 price range. Many people who buy mountain bikes use them primarily on the road and just use them occasionally on rough terrain.
If you are buying an Electric Mountain Bike to do a lot of off road riding it is important that you consider the quality of the bike you are buying. Riding off road puts far more stress and strain on your machine than riding on the open road. Make sure that you choose a bike that will meet your own individual needs and requirements.
Here are two Electric Mountain Bikes under 1500 dollars that we think are worth considering.
The Shengmilo MXO2S 26 inch Fat Tyre Electric Mountain Bike
The Shengmilo/Gunai Electric Mountain Bike has a lot of rave reviews with regard to its build quality and overall performance. These are the main selling points of the bike.
Reasons to Buy The Shengmilo MXO2S Mountain Bike
- The Shengmilo Electric Mountain Bike is not a folding bike. It is a dedicated, heavy weight, off road machine built to withstand the stresses and strains that off road e-biking entails. Having said that it is also perfectly at home on the open road should you wish to ride it in that environment.
- The bike is extremely high powered and boasts a 48v/17Ah lithium battery which is protected in a waterproof, shatter-proof casing attached to the main frame. The 1000w electric motor provides a very high level of power.
- Charging Time for the battery is between 6-8 hours from being completely depleted to being fully charged.
- The Shengmilo 26 inch Fat Tyre Electric Mountain Bike has three operating modes, manual, pedal assist and full throttle (operated via a twist grip). The pedal assist mode has 5 settings that can be selected depending on the riders needs.
- The maximum speed of the bike is listed as being 35kph using the 5 level pas mode.
- The operating range of The Shengmilo Electric Mountain Bike is between 50 and 60 kilometers, depending on terrain and rider participation.
- The bike features a 21 speed Shimano gearing system which improves the user experience especially in manual mode.
- The frame and forks are manufactured from Aluminium. The front forks feature a built in, adjustable and lockable, shock absorber system to improve rider comfort, particularly in off road conditions.
- The Shengmilo Mountain Bike is fitted with extremely durable 26×4.0 wide Kenda tyres to provide outstanding grip in even the worse conditions.
- The weight of the bike (with battery in place) is approx. 29 kilos. The carry weight of the bike is advertised as being 230 kilos.
- The bike comes with a strong, low consuption, LED headlight and an LED tail light, beneath the seat, to provide additional safety when out riding at night or in poor visibility during the daytime. The rear tail light can be set to operate in constant or blinking mode.
Reasons Not to Buy The Shengmilo MXO2S Mountain Bike
I have read a large number of reviews for this bike on the manufacturers website, and elsewhere on the internet, but have only managed to find one negative review. Even this review appears to relate to confusion regarding delivery and Black Friday discounts as opposed to the actual quality or performance of the bike itself.
The Shengmilo MXO2S Mountain Bike – Conclusion
If you are looking for a solid, well built electric mountain bike that is designed to cope with any eventuality then the Shengmilo would be extremely difficult to beat.
Although it is marketed as a mountain bike capable of taking rough terrain, snow and beach riding in its stride it is also capable of doubling as a commuter workhorse if that is what you are looking for.
At the time of writing The Shengmilo is priced at almost exactly $1500 dollars. It does however appear to be a very high quality product which seems to justify the selling price.
Where to Buy The Shengmilo MXO2S Mountain Bike
You can Buy the Shengmilo MXO2S on Amazon or alternatively you can Buy The Shengmilo MXO2S from the Official Shengmilo Store (paid link).
(Note: The Shengmilo also appears to be marketed under the Gunai branding).
The SMLRO 26 inch Mountain Bike
Reasons to Buy The SMLRO 26 inch Mountain Bike
- The SMLRO 26 inch Mountain Bike is available with a number of power options to choose from. The entry level bike comes with a 48v/15Ah lithium battery coupled to a 500w electric motor. The top of the range bike is supplied with a 48v/18Ah battery and a 1000w motor.
The choice you make will, to a large extent, be determined by the way you intend to use the bike and the amount of money you want to spend. Regardless of the power options that choose the other specifications, such as frame, tyres etc will remain the same.
There does however appear to be an option (for an additional cost) to have the wheel size increased from 26” to 29” should you wish to do so (available from Chinese Supplier only).
If you order the bike via the Chinese Outlet you are also given the option to choose between having a Chinese Manufactured Battery or a battery manufactured by Samsung.
- The maximum speed of The SMLRO 26 inch Mountain Bike obviously varies depending on the battery and motor selection you made. The maximum speed you are likely to get from a bike fitted with a 500w motor will be in the region of 50kph whereas you could expect to get up to 60kph from a bike fitted with an 800w motor.
- The distance that you can travel with a fully charged battery is also dependant on the battery you choose. For example a fully charged 15Ah battery could possibly take you between 50-70 km but the larger 17.5Ah battery is quoted as having a range of 60-75km. All of these figures are of course for guidance only as the actual figures obtained will be determined by a number of factors relating to the terrain and rider participation etc.
- The charging time for the battery is a very respectable 4-6 hours. As with most electric bikes you have the option to charge the battery whilst it is still on the bike or you can remove it for charging if this is a more convenient option for you.
- The frame is advertised as being Aluminium Alloy frame which is fairly standard for this type of electric bike.
- The SMLRO 26 inch Mountain Bike is fitted with 27speed Shimano gearing system.
- Like the majority of electric mountain bikes there are three choices with regard to power. You can choose to ride the machine like a conventional bike, you can choose a pedal assist option or you can select full power.
When pedal assist is selected you are able to choose the amount of assistance you require. There are five boost options to choose from.
- The onboard computer gives digital readouts showing speed, distance travelled, the condition of the battery and the boost option selected (when in power assist mode).
- The SMLRO Mountain Bike is fitted with a highly sensitive mechanical disk braking system.
- The maximum carry load of the The SMLRO Bike is listed as being 150kg.
- The bike comes with a front light, and horn, as standard but there is no rear light supplied.
- The tyres fitted to the bike are High Performance Kenda Tyres (26×1.95 unless you have specified the larger wheel size).
Reasons Not to Buy The SMLRO 26 inch Mountain Bike
There are very few reviews for the bike but no one who has posted a review has had anything negative to say about the bike at this time.
The SMLRO 26 inch Mountain Bike – Conclusion
The SMLRO 26 inch Mountain Bike would appear to be a well put together machine. It has everything that you are likely to want (with the exception of a rear light) if you are considering buying this style of bike. The fact that you have a choice with regard to battery and motor specification is a nice touch. The option of being able to choose a larger wheel size may also be a benefit for some people.
The cost of the machine also seems quite reasonable. The base option comes in at around about $850 whereas the top of the range option is still below $1250.
Where to Buy The SMLRO 26 inch Mountain Bike
As you can see there are a wide Range of Electric bikes under 1500 dollars, regardless of the style of bike you are looking for.
We have picked out a couple of examples that we feel are worth exploring in three separate categories (step through town bikes, folding e-bikes and mountain bikes).
We believe that the examples we have shown represent good value in each of the categories but at the ned of the day you need to choose a bike that you yourself will be happy riding!